Thursday, January 27, 2011

When things could actually relate to the arts





Today, on a learning trip, I went to the Kranji War Memorial.
It's been many years since the last time I've been there.
Mixed feelings, is the only way I can use to describe how I feel.
Sadness, lost, admiration and respect.

When everything you ever thought and learnt about the World War sudddenly seemed so close by, when I realised that the war was merely sixty, seventy years ago, when deaths, lifes and relationships seemed so unvaluable under the conflict of two parties who might have became good friends if not for the war, when only names were what left of those whose remains could never be found, when I thought about the fear and unpreparedness of the soldiers who had to face death at such a young age...

"To the world, you are one. But to us, you are the world", a message carved at the bottom of one of the headstones. How true this is, for the families who waited for their loved ones to return, but they never will.

I was rather emotional today, when faced upon impactful sights and realizations:
Firstly, the Kranji War Memorial, designed by architect Colin St. Clair Oakes, made me sentimental. The war memorial was designed such that all three arms are being acknowledged- the navy, the army and the air-forces. The tower with a star on the top represents the navy, to depict a submarine's conning tower. The wings and the thirteen walls represents the air-forces and the army respectively. Wings to depict that of the air craft, walls to depict the columns of the army marches. It was sloped upwards, where headstones are set in a geometric pattern along the long narrow terraces in the big plot of land just under ground level, allowing it to be kept straight. Each column having about 20 headstones respectively. Despite the many years that have passed, the memorial is still immaculately kept, retaining its finest and purest beauty. Not only does it deliver a sense of serenity, it also makes one feel peaceful and sound.

The design of this war memorial not only shows simplicity, purity, but also brings forth an important meaning behind the entire architectural structure. The three different arms-the navy, the army and the air-forces- that have come together to protect and serve as one. The architectural design also displays a sense of solidarity as well. Simple lines, simple geometrical shapes put together, and a cleverly use of space; the Kranji War Memorial is portrayed to be neat, tidy and spacious.

Secondly, this trip made me wonder about the issue of "identity". Many times, I had wanted to explore the theme of self-identity in various of my works. To me, identity was important. It represented who I was, who I am, what I felt towards myself. By exploring self-identity, it was like a struggle to find out the truth behind who I truly am inside. It was a necessity. But today, I saw many headstones, with inscriptions such as "A soldier of the 1939-1945 war, known unto God". These soldiers who were buried in the Kranji War Memorial could not be identified, and thus meaning that only God knows who they really are.

It made me realise how insignificant one may be. So much for self-identity. I always wanted to be different from others, unique in my own special way. Individuality was essential, for I didn't simply want to be anyone in this world. I wanted to be me. However, through the trip, it somehow made me rethink over things. Self-identity is important, but nevertheless, identifying yourself being part of the world is of even greater importance. Sometimes people often forget that their world is not made up of only the four walls they live in, the environment they stay in, but rather a bigger world. A larger truth. For when everything else is being ripped bare, self-identity is not something that would hold to stand.

Perspectives are often greatly differing, changing in accordance to what we experience and see. What I may be thinking right now may not be what I continue to believe in tomorrow. It's unexpected, but not necessarily in a negative manner. It is like chance, something we can't control or change. Just as like art, sometimes we are just having our mind blocks; or it might just be our good day. Inspirations for art are like such as well, putting down your art materials, talking a walk may just do the job. Perhaps, the next time, when i consider about the ideas behind my art pieces, i should step out of my world and look it from another varying viewpoint.
My perspectives may differ as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment