Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chinatown Shoot

Yesterday, I went for a Chinatown CNY Shoot with TXY SYD! <3
It was a very personal experience for me, shooting Chinatown like never before,
since it was raining, it was at night and it is considered a rather bold action of me.
I often worried and cared whether others might mind if I shot them,
and thus I never went forward with boldness.
Yesterday's group shooting really made me want to continue shooting people.
In a candid manner, even if it takes me to snap some shots, "despicably" without them knowing.

Honestly, I'm not someone who frequently goes out.
But doing something with a group of fun enthusiasts really spurred me on,
it will and definitely is something that i would love to do.
Even if i meant for me to be drenched like yesterday
(Shooting with an umbrella is not impossible, but still rather tough for me. Haha)


Here are photographs I shot yesterday:

There was a huge crowd yesterday, people wanting to get into the joyous atmosphere of the New Year. There were interesting sights for us to see as well! Firstly, the rubbish which were like speckles of snowflakes on the floor. Secondly, the synchronized action of people bending down to walk through the crowd- to avoid the 'bumps' on the tent (gi-enormous rain puddles) in case a mini heavy downpour comes by your side. And lastly, umbrellas everywhere!


The uncle selling the willows resting here, with a plastic bag above his head. I don't exactly like the composition of this shot, it would be better if it was a wide-angle. But I do like its subject. The willows as background and the light bulbs as spot lights, makes the picture rather atmospheric-looking.



I like to take photographs using low light, during the night and when there is a luminating main light for focus on. Such as the one above. The dark backgrounds, comprising silhouttes and umbrellas contrasts with the red tent and the light. Perhaps, it would have been better if I adopted the rule of third?
And for the shot of the girl, this is one of my favourites for the day. It was unexpected shot and I was glad I snapped it just in time. Her backview, with her pose and her pink clothes. One tinge of regret, if I possibly might, change the shutter speed to capture the rain drops she was trying to catch.


For this orange shot, argh; it might have been better if i focused on the subject on the front. This is debatable. I could either capture the old lady selling the oranges at the back, or the lady picking the oranges. But i do like the composition and the lighting for it.

The lights were shot from a shop. They are beautiful.
Illuminating the dark background like light drops.
Traditional chinese masks further emphasizes the chinese environment as well.
I would have possibly bought a sky lantern yesterday if I could stop by.

There were some seniors playing chess there. I would have possibly cropped them, but I hadn't. It would be nice if they were captured by film, on black and white.


The chinese traditional envrionment fully portrayed here. The chinese calligraphy, reds depicted and chinese words. I like the lighting, once again- low light. Would it have been better if it was wide angle?

The uncle selling the balloons. He doesnt really like us snapping him, so it is a rare shot of his half-shot face. He was attempting to cover his face, I suppose. But the balloons in his hands really make the shot interesting. Wide angle, better? (argh, I'm too into wide angles- all my other perspectives of the photographs are in wide angle!)
Shadows, of the chinese traditional ribbons. How beautiful they are!
It's the first time shooting outdoors, with a group.
Just with the intention to capture, don't think and snap, wait with patience for my image to appear.
The feeling's awesome. And this won't be my last outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment