Sunday, September 25, 2011

Futurism

I got hooked up by Cubism and Futurism when it presented me so many unknowns and different perspectives while I did my S3 assignment based on Marcel Duchamp’s Nude Descending A Staircase 1912.


(left) Marcel Duchamp’s Nude Descending A Staircase (1912)
(right) Umberto Boccioni’s Unique Forms of Continuity 1913

To work on Futurism was entirely a random chose, but after I work on it, I somehow found out why fate made me choose it. It was too alike to my preferences, and it plays with a lot of elements I particularly love. Also, Futurism is similar to a photography, where it overlaps the still images together to present a moving still.

It's also lovely, on how it's abstraction make the piece breathtaking at sight.
The lines, shapes as well :D

The S3 assignment

Depicting NY girls doing NanZhongQuan; I would probably rework on another Futurist piece at the end of the year as I'm not satisfied with this. While working on, I was too focused on making it alike to a Futurist style, but somehow forgot the most important element in a Futurist piece (movement), thus for this one above, it appears more like a flat two-dimensional painting, with so spirit of movement in it.

S3 EOY assignment

Somehow, I managed to incorporate the element of movement into this piece as well, where the shadow slowly evolves into a bird. Though I'm not contented with the skill I rendered for this piece, I like the concept pretty much. And as you can see (I realised it only these days, all thanks to LiYi), I unconsciously followed on this idea for my coursework. The element of leaving the background clean and white, and the concept of dreams. It is interesting to see how one's work actually evolves to another slowly over a period of time, how your skill improves, how you think differently before, how you have a similar preference previously or how you still are absorbed in a certain belief.

I wanted to continue working on something similar for coursework, and did some preparatory studies and thereafter, an original futurist piece (second one)



Depicting a man screaming

No comments:

Post a Comment